Yes, I feel like I need a refresher on how to shop for groceries. It’s the beginning of the New Year and I ate way more junk then I should have over the holidays. It’s time to go grocery shopping and get back into the swing of things. Follow these tips and you will be well on your way to smarter grocery shopping!
- Make a list, and stick to it! This is self-explanatory. Check your fridge and cupboards for what you need and check the flyers for sales.
- Don’t go grocery shopping when you are hungry. Eat beforehand and you are more likely to follow your list. When you are hungry, you’ll want to throw everything in the cart!
- Shop the perimeter of the store where you can find the fresh fruits and veggies, meats, and milk sections. The middle aisles are full of empty calories. Shop the middle aisles sparingly.
- Freeze your meat when you find a good deal. When chicken breast goes on sale we separate and bag it and throw it in the freezer. Then we can thaw it out when we want to use it, or throw it right it the crock pot.
- Don’t waste food. Make sure you are buying stuff you are actually going to eat. Don’t buy a bunch of fruits and veggies you are just going to throw out. Make sure you have some sort of meal plan in mind so you don’t have to throw anything out. No one likes wasting money!
- Learn to store stuff properly so it keeps fresh for longer.
- Choose whole wheat over white. Be it bread or pasta, whole wheat has more food value then it white counterpart!
Healthy grocery shopping just got easier! What’s your best tip for staying on track at the store?