The first race I ever went to was two hours away and I had no idea what to bring to a race at the time. I think I probably brought way more then I needed to and I even had my mom carry a backpack for use while we ran. Now that I have a few races under my belt I know what I need to bring, and it’s not as much as I thought I needed.
These are seven things I have to bring to a race:
- A change of clothes if you are taking a shower. I usually just bring an extra shirt I can change into.
- Deodarant. If I change my shirt, I need to re-apply. It’s a rule.
- Face wipes. They feel SO good after a sweaty race.
- Water. Yes – you get water after a race but I usually need more for the ride home.
- Snacks. In case the race doesn’t have a lot of snacks afterwards. I get hungry on the drive home!
- Sandals or flats. I need to change my shoes for the drive home. A 2hour drive in hot, sweaty shoes is no fun.
- My ipod and wireless headphones. Do I need to explain this one?
This list doesn’t include the very basics, like my running shoes and appropriate clothing, that should be a given! I haven’t had to shower after a race yet either, but I think that might come once I’m running half-marathons or marathons!
Is there anything you HAVE to bring to a race?