I am so excited to share this delicious Black Bean Vegetarian Chili recipe with you! I found this recipe with on ricardocuisine.com and tweaked it a tiny bit to fit my family, you can find the original recipe here.
My family has been making major changes in the last couple of months. We are determined to live healthier, and eat healthier too! Part of our plan is to incorporate more meatless meals. This chili recipe is the perfect meal for cold winter days and is packed with protein and fibre! It makes for excellent comfort food that is healthy too!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup chopped peppers (red, green, and yellow)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) chili powder
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans 19 oz (540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) vegetable broth
- 1½ cups (375 ml) frozen corn kernels
- Using a large saucepan, brown the onions in olive oil. Add the peppers, garlic, jalapeño, and spices and sauté for around 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, beans, and broth and bring it to a boil. Uncover and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes. Add the corn and cook for additional 5 minutes.
What I love about this recipe is that you can really make it your own. Customize it to fit your family’s dietary restrictions or their preferences. For example, we omitted the cilantro and sweet potato and used a colorful variety of peppers. You can swap any of these ingredients and still have the same results – a delicious Black Bean Vegetarian Chili! Unless you swapped kidney beans for black beans of course. 😉
You can find tons of healthy recipe ideas here.
Connect with RicardoCuisine: