I’ve been experimenting with a lot of meatless recipes lately and something I wanted to try was cheese, broccoli and potato soup. Since a couple of my family members are lactose intolerant, I wanted to try a lactose free version.
Obviously the biggest modification I made was using unsweetened Almond milk. I honestly wasn’t too sure how it would come out, but it came out GREAT!
I also left the peelings on my potatoes, mostly to add some nutritional value, but also so the soup had more of a ‘baked potato’ feel. You can easily peel your potatoes too but I have these nifty potato gloves that make cleaning potatoes SUPER easy.
Also, feel free to customize this. You can easily add in carrots, celery, onions, etc. Just add them in at the same time as the potatoes.
- 4 Medium Potatoes - Cubed
- 4c Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 6 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 3 Cups unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 Cups shredded lactose free cheese
- In a large pot add the potato and vegetable broth, boiled until potatoes are soft.
- At this point you can either leave the potatoes whole, puree with a blender, or use a potato masher to do a bit of both.
- Add in the broccoli florets and almond milk and stir it all up.
- Allow broccoli to cook - I let mine cook until they are very soft.
- Once your broccoli is cooked to your preference, SLOWLY add in cheese, about ½-1cup at a time, and stir until completely melted. Repeat until all cheese is melted.
This is my second attempt at the cheese/broccoli/potato soup. The first time I used a brick of Velveeta and we did NOT like it at all. Real cheese is definitely the way to go! By the way, I used a mild cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind you prefer, as long as it’s cheddar!
I’m not really a ‘soup’ kind of person but I am trying to change that and this Broccoli Cheese Baked Potato Soup is a step in the right direction, it is sooo good! Just make sure you let it COOL before enjoying! I got a little too excited and burnt my tongue with my first taste!
If you liked this, you might like:
- Low-Cal Easy Chili
- Black Bean Vegetarian Chili
- Quinoa Taco Salad
- Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Creamy Chicken Penne Pasta