I have been dealing with very acne-prone skin since I was about 13. For 14 years I have tried every thing I can find to help and have found nothing that works long term. Lately I have been developing my own skincare routine with some new products and some products I’ve used for a long time. I’m learning how to layer your skin care products the right way.
I have about 8 products split between morning and night routines, but what I found myself asking was how do I layer the products to get the best results? I did a bit of research and through my own trial and error I found this is the best method.
How to layer your skin care products:
- First you must start with cleaning your skin.
- Secondly, I use a toner. I use a toner that’s for acne prone skin. Toners help remove oil, tighten pores, and sooth your skin.
- Next up, any serums or oils. I use a roll on oil that helps brighten skin and improve textures.
- Eye cream – It’s never too early to start. I have been testing out a few different ones. My eyelids seem to be very sensitive and I need to be careful.
- Finally Moisturizer. Try to get one with an SPF for daytime. Even when it’s Winter, you still need to protect your skin!
- Apply makeup, if you wear it!
- Cleansing is the first step again. Make sure you remove all makeup, and then use a facial cleanser.
- The third thing I do at night is apply an acne spot treatment gel. I apply it only at night during the winter because skin is dryer in the winter.
- Next I apply eye cream.
- Finally Moisturizers. I use a different moisturizer then I do during the day, something that helps replenish my skin overnight.
**I also use a face mask one to two times per week.
I stick to the same cleanser and toner, but I’m always on the hunt for a new favorite mask. I love testing out different masks from Sephora, especially when they have inexpensive $5 ones. Whenever I accumulate points with Sephora, I use them on masks or skincare products. The best 500 point reward I ever got was a clinique pep-start pack. It had eye cream, moisturizer, and a face scrub. I loved it all!
Do you have a skincare routine? Or are you a wash and go kind of person? My mother has excellent skin and all she does is use plain soap and water, and she doesn’t have a go to moisturizer, it’s just whatever she finds at Walmart. My sister and I are super jealous, and a little frustrated that we didn’t get a ‘good skin gene’ from her! I’m crossing my fingers that when I get to be her age, my skin looks even half as good as hers!
If you liked this, you might like:
- Homemade Facial Mask
- Switching to Green Skincare
- Acne Prone Skincare Routine
- How to Layer Skincare Products
*This post contains affiliate links.*