Within the last year, and especially in 2019, I’ve been on a mission to decrease my carbon footprint and live a more eco-friendly lifestyle. Most of these changes are just small habits I needed to change or break. Living a more sustainable lifestyle has been a big goal for me!
Taking steps towards living a more eco-friendly life doesn’t have to mean huge changes overnight or even within a month. Every small step, every person can make, means a more positive future for our planet. Some of these changes ere easy, some I still struggle with. Check out my list of changes and see if you can implement any of them!
Shifting to a More Sustainable Lifestyle
- Say ‘no thank you’ to straws. When we go through the drive through to grab an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons, (a guilty pleasure, I must admit) we say we don’t need straws. Instead I have started to carry reusable straws in my purse. I bought a metal set of straws from Amazon and they came with a carrying case. I also have some glass straws and silicon straws.
- Turn down the napkins. Over the years, we have collected a good stack of napkins in the glove compartment of our car. This has lead to us also saying ‘no thank you’ to napkins in the drive thru.
- Hang up your towels. I bought an indoor clothes drying rack on Amazon so after we shower, we can hang our towels and use them again. This is a really easy way to cut down on washing your towels, and really one of the simplest steps to make towards living a more sustainable lifestyle. And of course, during the warmer months, hanging your clothes outside on the clothesline will help a bunch!
- Eat less meat. This doesn’t mean cutting it out completely! Just cutting out meat from one or two meals a week can help your carbon footprint a ton. Skip the steak once in a while and the planet will thank you!
- Use reusable grocery bags. You can buy reusable grocery bags at pretty much every store now-a-days, and they are very inexpensive too. It’s a great way to help cut down on all the plastic bags that end up in our oceans. Just keep some in your car… And don’t forget them when you go in the store!
- Bring your own water bottle on trips. This is something that is so easy to do. If I’m going to be out of the house for awhile, I bring my own water bottle. I’m a little crazy when it comes to water bottles, I am in LOVE with the Contigo Autoseal bottles, it’s the only reusable bottle I use. With plastic bottles filling our landfills and oceans, I refuse to buy bottled water!
- No cutlery for take out. Gosh, this list is making it sound like I eat out all the time, but I really don’t! It’s just such an easy choice to make – if you are getting takeout to bring home, ask for no cutlery, napkins, or straws in your bag.
- Recycle. Guys… It is SO easy to recycle these days! They have the separate bins and in some areas they have separate pickup for recyclables, or you can make a few extra bucks and take your bottles and cans in for a refund!
- Shop in the bulk bins. I love that Bulk Barn now let’s you bring your own containers. As long as they are clean, clear, and can close properly, you are good to go! You can buy jars directly from Bulk Barn, or just bring some Mason Jars.
Like I said, a lot of these are very simple changes to make but you can end up making a huge impact, and imagine if we all could make a couple of these changes in our day to day lives! We could change the world!
If you liked this post, here are a few you might also find interesting:
- Growing Broccoli Indoors
- DIY Herb Garden
- Growing Tomatoes Indoors
- Planning an Organic Garden
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds Easily
*This post contains affiliate links.*