I’m going to be honest, I haven’t been a fan of picnic type salads for very long. I would always turn my nose at macaroni or potato salads, but all that changed over the summer. I actually gave them a shot, and I loved them. Although, I did have trouble finding a good recipe for classic potato and macaroni salads, my mom’s tried and true recipes are the best. I’ll have to share those salad recipes with you later!
But right now, we are going to with this delicious Easy Cucumber Salad.
Easy Cucumber Salad Recipe
So, like I said, I’ve been pretty picky when it comes to finding the right picnic salad recipe, and I’m calling them ‘picnic’ salads because that’s what they remind me of. That or a good salad that you would bring to a BBQ. I think most of us have memories of being at a BBQ or picnic and the table would be loaded with various salads and sandwiches, or hot dogs and hamburgers if you are at a BBQ. These kind of salads are also something I would see at family potlucks.
Ahh, so many memories surround food. Potlucks, BBQs, picnics, beach days… Basically any fun-filled family get together.
Anyways. I’m getting side tracked.
On to the recipe!
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- ½ cup Dill Pickle Juice
- Slice your cucumber as thin as possible.
- In a small tupperware-type dish, combine the rest of the ingredients. Put a cover on your dish and shake well. If you have a dressing mixer, that would be ideal.
- Pour your dressing over the cucumbers.
- For best results, cover and leave the salad in the fridge for at least an hour.
A few notes about this recipe:
- I made it Vegan using a Vegan mayo. This is not necessary of course, you can use whatever mayo you have on hand.
- I use dill pickle juice because I always end up with jars of pickle juice once the pickles are all eaten up. This is a great way to get the juice used up. You could use water and fresh dill if you prefer.
- This recipe is very pepper-y. If you don’t like pepper, put in a little bit at a time and adjust to taste.
- There will be a lot of liquid, just use a slotted spoon when serving the salad.
Probably the best thing about this salad is that it is so simple. It takes less then 10 minutes to prepare. Honestly, the most time consuming part is slicing the cucumber. (Note to self: buy a vegetable slicer.) It’s inexpensive too, pretty much your only cost will be to buy a cucumber.
This particular recipes serves about two people, maybe three depending on your desired serving size. Since everyone in my house loves this salad so much, I’m often doubling or quadrupling this salad so it can be taken in work and school lunches.
*This post contains affiliate links.*